One of the purposes of my food posts are to, keep track of, and share with you my thinking behind creating or modifying recipes to suit specific needs.
- Use the abundant summer fruit in a breakfast food.
- Use little sugar but also make it filling enough for breakfast.
- Make something that is versatile and easily adaptable to the availability of ingredients.
- It has to make multiple servings to last a few days.
Deconstruct my breakfast smoothie and modify it to last a few meals.
A modified fruit crisp that can serve as both breakfast and dessert.
Combine whatever fruits you have available. Toss the fruit along with a couple spoons of sugar, a spoon of lemon juice and some spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, and/or cardamom), in the baking pan. Mix oats, flour, and brown sugar in an approximate ration of 4:2:1. Cover fruit with toping mixture. Evenly distribute a few spoons of melted butter over the dry topping. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- Frozen fruits work just as well. Try to combine tart fruits like strawberries with sweeter fruits like peaches or apricots. Bananas do not work.
- Dried fruits and nuts make a good addition to the filling.
- Goes well with plain yogurt for breakfast. Tastes good by itself or with ice-cream for dessert.
- One loaf pan makes something between 4 and 5 servings.