On one of my K-Pop group chats, someone asked for people’s favorite K-Pop vocalists. Since I mostly listen to boybands, my favorite vocalists are also male. I cannot quite explain why I like these particular singers but they are voices that are super distinct and easily identifiable for me .
1. Jonghyun– One of SHINee‘s main vocals, his voice is definitely my favorite in all of K-Pop. All three of his releases are on my list of (physical) albums, I want to own. His voice is one of the reasons I love SHINee’s songs so much. I have a hard time picking one of his tracks as a favorite because I love them all. But here is one from his latest album, Story Op. 2.
2. Jung Joon Young– Another one of my favorites who released one of my favorite K-Pop songs, Sympathy. His music makes me all sorts of happy as it brings together his very unique voice and the rock genre. And here is a live performance of my favorite.
3. NiihWA– I am not sure he counts as K-Pop but everyone needs to be listening to this singer/ rapper. You might not find much his work on YouTube but he has more on SoundCloud. Say Yes was his first song I listened to and it continues to be my favorite.
4. G.Soul– A talent that was hidden away for 15 years JYPE dungeon. The expectations were high for his debut and it did not let us down. The lead single, You, was a powerful piece that allowed him to truly shine. I have never been disappointed by his releases. Now that he has left JYP, we get to hear more of him and for that I am glad.
5. I’M– This singer made it to my list with just two releases. When I heard that he was an ex-TopDogg vocalist, I was so glad that he had the opportunity to do solo work because it would be super sad if we missed out on this awesome talent. Here is his debut
It was surprisingly easy to make this list. I looked through my music and these are the artists that I could recall the voices of before I even played their songs. There are many awesome vocalists out there. I find HIGHLIGHT’s Yang Yo Seob, VIXX’s Ken, and EXO’s Chen to be good examples of artists that sound great. But none of them make me want ot listen to songs just for their voices. These five draw me to their songs with their voices.